Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Day 612: Westvleteren 8

One of the things I found very interesting about dining in Belgium is that bread and butter weren't handed out freely like in the United States. In fact, most places would charge you for it if you requested it. On the other hand, frites (never call them French fries in Belgium!) were inexpensive and everywhere. I'm fairly certain I had frites with every lunch and dinner that wasn't a picnic.

And after pedaling through farmland for ten days, much of which was dedicated to potato farming, I'm certain I'll be able to identify potato crops for the rest of my life.
Potatoes as far as the eye can see!
I'm also fairly certain this guy is going to give me nightmares for a good long time.
Monsieur Frite! What have you been smoking?
 Enough about potatoes, let's talk beer and close out my reviews from Sint Sixtus. I had three beers at In De Vrede (the cafe nearby Sint Sixtus Abbey)--the blond, 8 and 12. The blond was reviewed in my last post and I'm saving reviewing the 12 until I can put together a tasting dinner. If you're really nice, I might invite you!

The Westvleteren 8 pours a medium tone, hazy brown color with a light tan head. It has a light mouthfeel. For some reason I expected it to have a lot of body. The smell is rich with chocolate, plum and malt. The flavor is full of caramel and chocolate with dark bread notes. I'm sure it goes without saying since this is a Westvleteren beer, but it was excellent!

Beer stats
Style: Dubbel
ABV: 8%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Excellent

Previously reviewed from Sint Sixtus
My thoughts on the blond

No comments:

Post a Comment