Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Hangin' Around

Day #628 Le Corne du Bois des Pendus Tripel  / Brasserie d'Ebly, Ebly, Belgium
Previously from this brewery: n/a; this beer is the first out the limo!

Football is starting this weekend; first fantasy football draft happens tonight.  Probably not a good sign that I've done no prep, no homework, no reading, no planning.... no anything.  I'll fix that.  Add that to my list of things to fix.  We're going to get this right.

Tonight's beer is Le Corne Tripel from Brasserie d'Ebly, which I had in a restaurant in Brugge.  Basically, I ordered this beer because it came in the most unusual glass I saw in all of Belgium - a horn shaped glass held in a carriage stand.  The horn is a throwback to the ancient days where bull's horns were used as drinking vessels, and quite frankly, it makes sense because you need to stand out a bit in a crowded Belgian beer world.  Mission accomplished there.  The beer itself was worth the random purchase - a dark gold color with a big fluffy white head, with aromas of bread and yeast, and flavors that balanced malt and mild Belgian hops.  Sometimes random beer purchases work out just fine.
Not my photo.  
My photo from Cambrinus:
My photo. Less exciting.
According to Google translate, the name of this beer means "Horn of Wood Hanging."  This is due to an ancient legend about a seventeenth century brewer named Cornelius, who along with everyone else from the village near Luxembourg, was hung by a band of marauders.  That sucks.  He apparently buried his beer recipe to keep it secret, and his spirit is said to still haunt the woods.  He's represented on the bottle and glass with the noose still hung around his neck.  A bit morbid, but hey, that's just me.

Thing to Think About Today:
In the spirit of a brewer hung by marauders, I give you the Rolling Stones and Hang Fire.  Have a good evening, dear friends....

No comments:

Post a Comment