Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, September 22, 2013

Just Grand

Day #652 St. Stephanus Grand Cru / Brouwerij Van Steenberge, Ertvelde, Belgium
Previously from this brewery: A lot. Seriously. Just click this link, okay?

Back home after another weekend on the road, and I can say without a doubt that I'm glad to not be getting in the car to drive to State College again next weekend.  Four weekends on the road in a row is quite enough, thank you.  Particularly since yesterday's game was played in a downpour.  I think I'm still soggy.

Sundays are for napping, but I haven't managed to get a nap just yet.  Therefore, I may be going to bed at 8pm tonight, because that's how this old man rolls.  Before I fall asleep, let's get a beer review out there. Today's selection is St. Stephanus Grand Cru, from our old friends at Brouwerij van Steenberge.  It pours a hazy dark gold, and when you take a sip you get a good caramel malt, apple, some bread flavors, and a mild bitterness.  You notice the 9% ABV when you drink it, so beware.  I bought this bottle at the brewery, toted it around all of Belgium, and then decided to drink it in Luxembourg, as I was seriously paranoid that not all of the beer I brought home would make it back safely.  As this one is now available in the States, I decided to pop it open.

I don't have a picture of this beer on my phone (sorry), so instead you get a picture of Fort Thüngen in Luxembourg.  Luxembourg was frequently the center of some war or battle, due to their location in central Europe and everyone around them not liking each other. I walked around the fort on a bright, sunny morning and snapped this picture
Fight for your right to party!
This bottle was the one thing the brewery owner's father-in-law let us purchase during our visit.  Not because he was being mean; because everything else was on the house!  This beer cost me 3 Euro, or about $4. Sigh.... won't find one quite that inexpensive in America any time soon.

Thing to Think About Today:
Something quiet for a lazy Sunday.  Bell X1 and Light Catches Your Face.  Enjoy, I'm off to bed.... I kid. A bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment