Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Creative Studying

Day #648 Grimbergen Dubbel / Brouwerij Alken-Maes, Alken, Belgium
Previously from this brewery: a Hapkin that I forgot about, Grimbergen Blonde, and another Grimbergen Blonde

Nearing the end of the list of beers drank in Belgium.  I know you're probably sick of reading about it, but I may never get back to Belgium in my life, so I'm unloading them all.

Today's offering was a bottle of Grimberen Dubbel from Brouwerij Alken-Maes.  Had this one at a lunch in Brugges, and in the glass it poured a mahogany color with virtually no head.  There's a malt sweetness with some nice stone fruit (say, plums?) flavor and bready notes.  Pretty mellow compared to what I drank on the rest of the trip, and definitely didn't have the same oomph that other beers had.  Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, just not terribly complex or unusual.
Good glass, for what it's worth
One of the really awesome things about Belgium is that virtually every single restaurant has outdoor seating. Who doesn't like to sit outside, enjoy some sunshine, do some people watching, and drink some beer? While this beer didn't blow me away, it gets tons of bonus points for being consumed at an outdoor table, overlooking a canal.  I greatly miss having the option to sit outside in every single restaurant- step up your game, Philly suburbs!

Thing to Think About Today:
I have a four and a half hour exam coming up Friday morning to certify me as a Six Sigma Black Belt.  I'm absurdly under-prepared and really freaking out about it, considering I finished the class back in January and have retained very little since then.  So, I could spend the evening studying... or... I could spend the evening developing elaborate cheating schemes!  Say for example, like this awesome scene from Spies Like Us, where Chevy Chase and Dan Akroyd go above and beyond to pass their civil service test.  Enjoy your evening; I'm getting started working on my fake cast and eye patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment