Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Day 673: Bockor VanderGhinste

If there's one thing I love in the world of beer, it a good sour beer. This one is the VanderGhinste, an oud bruin from Brouwerij Bockor. Interesting--perhaps only to me and Mr. Blog Named Brew--is that Bockor is in Bellegem in the West Flanders region of Belgium. Why is this interesting? Because we stayed in Kortrijk, which is nine kilometers north of Bellegem and we traversed that whole area on bike this summer.


So about that beer. It poured a deep brown, slightly hazy color with a thin off-white head. It smells lightly metallic, kind of like when you hold coins in your hand for too long. There's also sour cherries and vinegar. The flavor is more sweet than sour and the tartness is light and refreshing. There's lots of cherry and other dark fruits. I wrote "light plum" in my notes. So there's that. 

Is this the best oud bruin I've ever had? No. And truth be told I was a bit disappointed at first. But the more time I spent with it, the more I realized that it was a solid example of the style. 

Beer stats
Style: Oud bruin
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Good

Previously reviewed from Bockor
Jacobins Gueuze and more on the Belgian bike tour

1 comment:

  1. this was previously known as bellegem's bruin, and they tweaked the recipe slightly and re-branded it.

    ReplyDelete