Breweries "Visited"

Monday, December 3, 2012

Beer 359: Orkney Skull Splitter

Holiday party season kicks off tonight and I couldn't be more pleased.  I'm always confused when people complain about holiday parties. Why wouldn't you want to catch up with friends and colleagues, eat good food and imbibe in the holiday spirit? Scrooges! All of you complainers are scrooges!


But before the celebrations begin, let me tell you about Orkney Brewery's Skull Splitter, an authentic Orcadian ale. Billed as a rich, sophisticated ale that is satiny smooth with a deceptively light character, it is brewed in Scotland and has an 8.5% ABV. It poured a ruby-hued brown ale with a light tan head. There was light lacing left behind. The smell is molasses and dark marinated fruit. The flavor is bitter and slightly metallic, boozy figs, buttery. I guess with a name like Skull Splitter, it's supposed to be boozy. I agree with the rich, sophisticated description as well as satiny smooth. I definitely think it has character but it is not so light. Overall this is a good beer that I would drink again.

The rest of my evening consists of a nice glass of wine, lobster risotto, gravlax and creme brulee. I'll see you all on the flip side. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment