Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Beer 364: Elysian and I Like Big Beers

I like big beers and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a beer gets tapped with a double digit...

Oh never mind. I am no Sir Mix-A-Lot. But I do like big beers and I'll be hanging at TJ's in Paoli (Pennsylvania) all day tomorrow helping them celebrate their 9th anniversary. I wonder if they found any chocolate Faygo yet...

Today's beer is a perfectly appropriate beer to write about this early in the morning. It's the Split Shot espresso milk stout from Elysian Brewing Company in Seattle (5.6% ABV).


It has a minimal head with just a light tan ring around the glass. There is a strong, rich coffee and chocolate milk blend for the aroma. The color is deep dark brown.

The taste is predominantly rich, roasted coffee. There is also some vanilla and cola in there. It winds up with a hop bitterness that blossoms into a full finish. The mouthfeel isn't as creamy as I'd expect. It feels like it lands somewhere between a stout and milk stout. That being said, the flavor is excellent. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment