Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Day #381 Barrel Aged Brrrbon '11 / Widmer Brothers Brewing Company, 
Previously from this brewery: Citra Blonde, Brrr Seasonal

After an excellent day yesterday spent visiting family, today we celebrate the holiday by watching movies, drinking beer, and eating Chinese food at home.  It's not that I don't love my family or friends - I just need one day over the holiday to spend doing nothing but sitting and relaxing.  It's been a good day so far, with more movies on deck for the evening.  Whatever your family tradition might be, I do hope the peace and joy of the season found their way to your house - along with a big bag of fun new toys from Santa.  Jolly old St. Nick hooked me up with a new book by David Byrne, which I can't wait to read.  Score!

I'm celebrating the evening with a bottle of Barrel Aged Brrrbon '11 from Widmer Brothers.  A close friend had tried this one and liked it, so it sounded like something I should buy as well.  In the glass, this beer has a bright amber color and no head.  Your nose finds the aroma of sweet malt and stone fruit, and when you take a sip you get a great mix of candi sugar, malt, dark fruit, leather, and some spice, with a good alcohol warmth.  Not quite as complex as a barley wine, yet all of the bourbon barrel aged deliciousness.  A very well done beer which goes great on a cold winter day better spent snuggling than working.  With a potent 9.5% ABV, drinking this may lead you to want a nap.  If so, then go for it - you've earned it.
Bourbon = delicious
As always, if the word "bourbon" is involved, I'm quite sure I'm going to like whatever is happening.  I look forward to future deliveries from Widmer's Alchemy Project, particularly if they involve barrel aging.

Thing to Think About Today:
To celebrate the season, let's all stop and think about the best Christmas movie ever made, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.  This clip really needs no introduction, so.... Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

"Can I refill your eggnog for you?  Drive you out the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?"

No comments:

Post a Comment