Breweries "Visited"

Friday, December 7, 2012

Beer 363: Half Acre Daisy Cutter and The String Cheese Incident

The highlight -- or lowlight depending on how you look at it -- of my day was what I'm affectionately now referring to as "The String Cheese Incident."  Oddly it's the name of a band as well. I wonder if they've had the same misfortunes as me.

I couldn't get my string cheese open for my afternoon snack. The little "peel here" tab was mangled and that really is the key to accessing your string cheese.  Who knew? So after a ridiculous amount of time struggling with a vacuum sealed tube of cheese, I finally took the scissors to it and freed about 80%. That's when I broke my string cheese. I thought it would be easy to just pop that last little bit out of the packaging and in doing so, managed to launch it straight into the air and directly into my eyeball. 

Lessons learned:
1. String cheese chunks are dangerous projectiles.
2. Eyeballs are very sensitive.
3. Cheese burns when applied to one's eyeball.

I also think I still have cheese fragments lodged in there. 

You know what goes well with cheese? An American pale ale.  So let's go with the Daisy Cutter pale ale from Half Acre Beer Company. It's brewed in Chicago (5.2% ABV) and I definitely need to check them out next time I'm in the Windy City. They appear to have quite a variety of brews in their portfolio.

The color is somewhere between a bright apricot and copper.  The head was slightly off white, thick and fluffy and disappeared into chunky flotsam. This beer also left significant lacing as it disappeared.  It smells of bitter grass and grapefruit.  

The flavor is citrus hops, pith, pine and very light hints of orange. Overall I find this to be a great beer. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment