Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Persimmon Trees and Kim Jong-il

Ever so casually at work last week, friends began discussing the phenomenon of Kim Jong-il looking at things. There's a blog dedicated to him looking at things. Seriously. Seriously? And yet I spent an inordinate amount of time looking at this blog. It's oddly fascinating. He looks at leaflets, fabric, sweaters, soft drinks, rice and so much more. Despite the many, many published photo ops, North Korea looks pretty bleak. So much for propaganda.

One highlight is the recently deceased admiring (can you call it admiring when he has the same flat look in all the photos?) a persimmon tree. Song broke out in my head and I invite you to experience it with me. Check it out here.

The juxtaposition of Kim Jong-il and the David Wax Museum is mind blowing. And you're welcome for the peek into the inner workings of my brain. It's an interesting place.

Today is Christmas Eve so what's more appropriate than a seasonal beer from Widmer? The Brrr seasonal is sweet in the nose, but very hoppy in taste - or at least very hoppy for me. It hits you with classic hoppy bitterness right in the back of the tongue. I guess that's satisfying for someone who's into that sort of thing. It's pretty friendly at 7.2% ABV. I got some citrus on further sampling and something spicy...maybe coriander?

I'll be celebrating the remainder of Christmas Eve with family and an Allagash Confluence. All signs point to me loving it...perhaps I'll report back later on how it goes. I guess that all depends on how much of my mother-in-law's boilo I drink!

1 comment:

  1. There's a Persimmon Tree Road near me that we've always pronounced with a bri'ish accent. Like 'obligatree' or ... some other example. Anyways, Persimmon Tree is now pronounced that way round these parts.

    Also, Boilo sounds AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete