Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Decisions running through my head

Beer #8: Vicaris Generaal / Brouwerij Dilewyns, East Flanders, Belgium
Great day that started with a long walk by the river in Valley Forge. Only people out were some folks walking their dog - we brought Flash, but not the other two - and some dedicated runners.  Which made me realize I need to make a decision and make it fast: whether or not to sign up and run another 24 hour ultramathon next year.  Having run two 24 hour races in the past three years, it's time to put up or shut up for running one in 2012.  The upside is the race is an awesome adventure; running 50+ miles is something most sane people don't bother attempting.  The downside is the seemingly endless training. I love running, but I don't always love the amount of time I need to dedicate.  Plus, some of my fellow runners aren't running it this year, which is a downer.  Need to figure this out, and fast.

On to the beer.  Keeping with the Belgian theme (and I'll be spending a lot of time with Belgian beers this year), the next beer is another Belgian I wasn't familiar with, the Vicaris Generaal.  The beer has a reddish brown hue, and a rich, malty taste. The flavor is actually lighter than the dark color would imply.  Just a hint of sweetness, but nothing too overwhelming.  Plus, their logo is what appears to be a blue horse with a rocket pack.  Nice!  Very solid beer choice, and I feel like I'm back on track after yesterday's clunker.

Thing to Think About Today:
Caught the new Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows film - absolutely loved it.  Just as good as the last one, if not better.  Robert Downey Jr. & Jude Law nail their roles, as does the guy who also plays the British guy on Mad Men.  You know... him.  However, let's think back to an earlier time, when Robert Downey Jr was just on the cusp of stardom.  Back to School?  HILARIOUS.  Johnny Be Good?  SURE!  Weird Science?  YES!  How was he playing second banana to Anthony Michael Hall in not one, but two movies?  Damn the 80s were strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment