Breweries "Visited"

Friday, December 30, 2011

Woke Up Quick, At About Noon....

Beer # 20 Harvest From the Hood/ Philadelphia Brewing Co, Philadelphia PA
Inching towards the finish line on 2011, a year I'll be glad to have in the rearview mirror.  I'm an optimist, so I'm confident 2012 will be much better on many different fronts.  Right?  I mean, who expects the future to be worse?  The future is undefined, so we're allowed to paint whatever picture we choose.  I'm choosing to paint a sunny picture with balloons and puppy dogs.  Maybe even ice cream.

Enough with the painting!  I suck at art.

Today's beer is another local product.  Nice, refreshing hop taste without going overboard, and a rich amber color on this American Pale Ale.  Definitely will be drinking this again.  This beer is brewed in partnership with Greensgrow Farm, a leader in urban farming and education.  This urban garden is just a few blocks away from the brewery in Northeast Philadelphia - nice job making sustainable farming and brewing a reality.  The Philadelphia Brewing Co. brewery building dates back to 1885, when Weisbrod & Hess Oriental Brewing Company set up shop.  The brewery was closed 1939, and beer wasn't brewed on site again until PBC took over in 2001.  A relative newcomer on the scene, they also churn out solid offerings like Walt Wit, Rowhouse Red, and Newbold IPA.  Definitely worth a try.

Thing to Think About Today:
Most of my teenage years were spent in the 90's.  Which means in addition to my love of 80's comedies, I was also a huge fan of gangsta rap.  N.W.A. was a revelation; something completely different and unusual, even when compared to other rap music.  Although I had nothing in common with Cube, Dre, Ren, and Eazy, their music spoke to me anyway.  The minute I saw this beer, I thought of Boyz N The Hood, both the Eazy-E song and the John Singleton movie.  The iPod is rocking tonight, so I'll leave you with this combination of gangsta rap and what appears to be a typical day on the Main Line in this legendary Dynamite Hack cover:

"Little did he know I had a loaded 12 gauge/One sucker dead, LA Times front page."

No comments:

Post a Comment