Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Day 430: ABCs of Beer (Appalachian Brewing Company, that is)

Is it weird that at age 37, I just want to spend tonight playing with my new iPhone? No? Excellent.

While I enjoy my new toy...er...I mean smart phone, you can read about my visit to Appalachian Brewing Company's outpost in Collegeville (Pennsylvania).  It was actually the first stop on my Chester County Beer Tour a few weekends ago.  I wrote about the second and third stops on the tour last week. I guess this review falls in the better late than never category.

Appalachian Brewing Company was started in Harrisburg and has locations in Gettysburg, Lititz and Camp Hill in addition to Collegeville. If you're visiting the Collegeville location, be warned it's not the easiest place to find, but it's worth it.  I started out with a sampler.

They came from here...

I didn't take notes on the entire sampler. I can tell you that I like most everything. What I didn't like was the IPA, which Mr. Blog Named Brew seemed to enjoy. After I finished the sampler, I ordered a full size Jolly Scot Scottish ale. It was my favorite of the beers in the sampler.


It poured a bright mahogany color with a wispy light tan head. I couldn't get a good read on the smell. Definitely malts...but I couldn't figure out the rest. The flavor was nutty, warm and reminiscent of biscuits. It had an almost bourbon-like flavor to it with hints of woodiness.  Good stuff.

Beer stats
Style: Scottish ale
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: 18
Rating: Good

Previously reviewed from Appalachian
This beer is the first out the limo!

No comments:

Post a Comment