Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Jolly Good Time

Day #423 E.S. Bam / Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, Dexter, MI
Previously from this brewery: my review of Bam Biere from the day Coach Paterno passed away, Marci's look at Madrugada Obscura from St. Patrick's Day

Busy day today in the office, followed by basketball, followed by me making homemade meatballs and sauce, so I'm getting right down to business.  The beer to close out this busy day is E.S. Bam, a saison from Jolly Pumpkin.  In the glass, this beer has a light caramel color with a huge, fluffy head.  Your nose finds a tart aroma, with earthy notes of malt and citrus.  The taste is downright delightful; dry, with grain and some funk, with a hop bitterness, particularly in the finish.  This beer was aged in oak barrels and bottle conditioned, yet has an easy drinking 4.7%V ABV.  Jolly Pumpkin is one of those breweries where you can pick up anything they make with confidence you're going to get something great in your glass.  Fire away....
Bad picture, great beer!
No, this beer doesn't have pumpkin.  That's just the name of the brewery, so relax.  The brewer and his wife were just tossing out potential names for their new brewery, and kept coming back to this one.  Works for me.

Thing to Think About Today:
In the spirit of Jolly Pumpkin, I present Smashing Pumpkins.  I close with Today, a song that always brings me back to the days of college - and puts a smile on my face in the process.

"Today is the greatest / day I've ever known."

No comments:

Post a Comment