Breweries "Visited"

Friday, February 8, 2013

Day 426: Stillwater Lower Dens, A Collaboration


Typically when I think of a brewer collaborating on a particular beer, I assume the partnership is with another brewer--or maybe a chef. But musical artists? Nope. That wasn't on my radar at all until I found the Stillwater Lower Dens.

It's part of the Stillwater Sensory Series, which is a collaboration between Stillwater Artisanal and singular musical artists. This first collaboration is with Lower Dens and the result is an ale based on an interpretation of their song In the End is the Beginning. I had it on draft at TJ's, but if you were lucky enough to get a bottle, there's a QR code that links to an exclusive Lower Dens performance of the song. Cool, huh? It's a true artistic collaboration that aims to create a full sensory experience--sound, sight, smell, touch, and taste.

Lower Dens the beer is a hibiscus ale. It pours a bright but hazy shade of orange. There's lots of very active bubbles and it has a white head. There's a yeasty tang in the smell. Reminds me of a saison.The flavor is also very tangy with mellow hops. It has some lemon in the taste along with a slightly floral note. Hibiscus! It's very subtle but delicious.

Beer stats
Style: Hibiscus ale
ABV: 6%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Good

Previously reviewed from Stillwater
My review of Stateside Saison from year one
I snuck a second review of Stillwater in during year one for the Wabash Cannonball, but also reviewed another awesome beer from Evil Twin
And then I snuck in a third Stillwater review in year one. This was a partnership with Mikkeller (brother to Evil Twin) and called Our Side
Gary reviews Cellar Door

No comments:

Post a Comment