Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 441: Random Thoughts and Another Jolly Pumpkin Beer

I'm living the boat life today. Yoga. Green juice. Puttering around the house. Rocking out and wondering how my music collection got so eclectic. Trying not to let these two lull me into a nap...

All in all a good day. Last night I opened up a La Roja from Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales. Looking back on recent posts, I seem to be on a Jolly Pumpkin bender. Seems appropriate given how good their beer is.

La Roja is an amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. In other words, it's a sour beer. Score! This particular one came from Blend #2 and was dated January 6, 2012.
It poured a red-tinged hazy brown color with a minimal tan head. It looks fantastic in the glass. It smells like happiness to me...sour, light earthy funk and kind of like coins. Drinking it gives a great pinchy sour sensation. It's tart, lemony. It reminds me of eating unripe plums, like tart fruit. There's a good malt backbone that's not quite roasted, maybe more toasted. It lends a warmness to the flavor.

Beer stats
Style: Wild ale
ABV: 7.2%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Excellent

Previously reviewed from Jolly Pumpkin
My review of Luciernaga from three days ago. See I wasn't kidding about the bender.
Gary's review of E.S. Bam
My review of Madrugada Obscura and some crazy lady ranting about St. Patrick's Day
Gary actually has tried all the Bam bieres


No comments:

Post a Comment