Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Day 444: Victory Brewing 100 Horse Ale


Today is simultaneously the best and worst day of the year. As an event planner, once a year I get to participate in a menu tasting for our gala fundraiser. Spending hours sampling hors d'oeuvres, salads, entrees, side dishes and desserts with--of course--appropriately paired wines sounds like a dream come true. And it is. Trust me, today was a delicious, delicious day. But it's the aftermath, what I've affectionately called the hors d'oeuvres sweats, that I've learned to dread.

There is no way to pace yourself. I thought I'd be safe by not sampling the entrees, which are predominantly steak. Nope. It's those bite size morsels--crab, tuna, shrimp and taro root, mini goat cheese sandwiches on raisin bread, endive, porcini, truffles--that do the most damage. Tempting, devilish little hors d'oeuvres! Then there are the salads. Healthy, right? Sure, but then pile on all the sweet delicacies for dessert afterwards and it's all over. 

And who had the brilliant idea to do a gourmet popcorn bar for dessert this year? Oh yeah, that was me. 

Now if I only had Thanksgiving pants like Joey...
Video is here
...I'd have room for beer. Instead I'll pull a review out of my stash and tell you about Victory Brewing's Hundred Horse Ale. It's a collaboration among Victory, Philadelphia restaurant Alla Spina and The Publican in Chicago. It's a dry, rich ale made with German Kolsch yeast and Oregon chestnuts. I selected it from among Victory's many offerings based on the description that it's nutty. I like a nutty beer.

(picture will go here if I haven't lost it)

It poured an amber color with a thick, off-white head. It smells of bread with a touch of hops. It drinks with a medium mouthfeel.  It's very mild. Malty with the lightest hoppiness. The chestnuts weren't apparent at first, but started to reveal themselves as the beer warmed up a bit. It was easy to drink and given the ABV, I'd call it a great session beer.

Beer stats 
Style: Red ale
ABV: 5.5%
IBUs: Unknown
Rating: Good

Previously reviewed from Victory
Gary's review of Hundred HorsesNATO IPA, and V-12
Here I attempt to drink ALL THE BEERS!


No comments:

Post a Comment