Breweries "Visited"

Monday, February 25, 2013

Red in the Morning

Day #443 La Roja / Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, Dexter, MI
Previously from this brewery: Ready? We've drank La Roja, Luciernaga, ES Bam, Bam Biere, and Madrugada Obscura.  Think we like Jolly Pumpkin around these parts?  We do.

I'll keep this quick and somewhat to the point, as I have yoga class tonight.  Not sure I'm much better at yoga than when I started back in 2012, but I keep trying.  I do enjoy the sense of relaxation I get from a class - my beginner classes are less aerobic and more, well, peaceful.

I often find that same sense of peace during my morning runs.   It's been a long time since I've trained for any ultra marathons (three years, yikes!) but I still try to get out most mornings and get two or three miles before work.  Truthfully, I really like being out in the world before the sun comes up.  I get a sense that I'm the only one out and about, a feeling that no one will be bothering me as I churn through the neighborhood.  It's just me alone with my thoughts, and I love that.  Of course, every now and then, my peace is interrupted by an explosion. Thankfully, the Mother Nature kind:

Glorious
Click on that image for a larger version.  I saw that majestic view last Friday morning, so in honor of a sky filled with oranges, purples, and reds, tonight's beer is the La Roja (roja is Spanish for red, for those who aren't bilingual, like I am) from Jolly Pumpkin.  In the glass, this Flanders ale is a bright mahogany color with a wispy white head.  The aroma is a wonderful blend of tart, vinegar, and fruit.  When I took a sip, the first thing I jotted down was, "This is an outstanding beer."  It's dry, with some spice on the finish.  Throughout, it's tart and sour, with citrus and cherries, all blending together with some caramel malt to create something beautiful - just like the brilliant colors of a morning sunrise.  If you like sours or Flanders red ales, you need to get this one, and FAST.  It's world class.

Cat with a sword?  Bad ass.
Bonus points?  The label has a sort of Puss N'Boots vibe, with a swashbuckling cat staring back at you.

Thing to Think About Today:
In the spirit of red and the sunrise, I really couldn't present anything else in this space but Red Dawn.  This film tells the story of a United States that has been invaded by the Russians and their allies.  A scary thought from back in the day when the Cold War was still happening.  Starring Patrick Swayze, Lea Thompson, Charlie Sheen, and Jennifer Gray (nobody puts Baby in the corner!), Red Dawn is about high school students in Colorado who decide to fight back against the odds and the foreign invaders.  This movie was remade recently, but there's no shot in Hell that I'll be watching that version, as the original still kicks ass!  Do you like guns, the 80's, the can-do American spirit, and Patrick Swayze, but hate Communism?  Then this is the movie for you.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment