Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Goodbye and Thank You, Coach

Beer #43 Bam Biere / Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, Dexter, MI 
College football, Penn State, and the world at large lost a great man today with the passing of Joe Paterno at age 85.  I'm sitting here trying to type something profound and meaningful, seeing how one of my idols and role models isn't around any longer.  I've got nothing in the profound department, just sadness.  I've previously wrote about the surrogate grandfather role Joe played, so I won't repeat that. My good friend has penned a more elegant tribute, so I'll just send you to his article instead.  Thanks for reading.


I'm a firm believer in celebrating people's lives rather than dwelling on the negative, so I'll get on with the show.  Today's beer comes from the fine folks at Jolly Pumpkin, another brewery where you're guaranteed to find a great beer in anything they produce.  It's a given.  The Bam Biere is farmhouse ale, and pours a golden color.  The sour aroma hits you immediately, and the first sip gives you a rich combination of fruit, sour, and... I don't know.....deliciousness.  Very light, very tasty, very clean, and very easy drinking at 4.5% ABV.   Enough beer.  I'm off to drink bourbon. Seems like Joe would approve of that, he was a bourbon man.
Complete with fun dog logo!
Thing To Think About Today:
Marci recently wrote about various renditions of Hallelujah, thus taking what would have been a good song here.  I think I have another for you to think about today, the Blind Boys of Alabama, and their soulful rendition of Amazing Grace:

"They ask me what I'd like written about me when I'm gone.  I hope they write I made Penn State a better place, not just that I was a good football coach."
- Joseph Vincent Paterno
1926-2012

Goodbye, Coach Paterno.  And thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Joe said hello to me and my parents coming out of an elevator in Washington, PA where we were staying for a PSU-WVA game. To say I was excited would be an understatement. I feel Ike I lost my best friend today even though that was the only face to face contact we ever had.

    ReplyDelete