Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Senape's Tavern, My Dear Old Friend.

Beer # 40 XX Bitter / Brouwerij De Ranke, Dottignies, Belgium
Some days I share really interesting notes and amusing tales on my day or the world around us.  Sorry, today isn't that day.  What, you think Hemingway could crank out The Sun Also Rises every single day of the year?  Have places to go, things to do, so this one stays brief.  But I wouldn't leave you without today's beer.

Today's beer comes from the tap at TJ's in Paoli, and the Belgian IPA from Brouwerij De Ranke  pours a hazy, pale yellow with a foamy head.  This has a dry taste, with a hop bite up front.  Strong hop bite, in fact, with little in the way of citrus behind it  Definitely hits you in the back of the throat.  If you're a fan of bitter beers, this one will be right up your alley.  A solid 6.2% ABV doesn't hurt, either.  Good choice, and another good brewery found.

But I wonder - what did this beer do to earn the XX rating?  How close were they to XXX?  These are the things I think about.

Thing to Think About Today:
In a world completely overrun by ubiquitous chain restaurants serving bad food in huge portions, it's nice to see there are still real restaurants out there.  Tonight, I'll be dining at Senape's Tavern - THE BEST pizza in all the land.  Don't bother emailing me with other pizza suggestions, I'll be too busy devouring another slice of their 12-cut square pizza to pay attention to you.  Senape's Tavern is an old, dated back room of a bar with mismatched furniture and the same waitstaff since I was in high school.  Maybe that's why my order hasn't changed since the first time I set foot in that place.  Will some fancy Celebrity Chef be stopping by to profile this place for the Food Network?  No, but I think I prefer it that way.  Let us have our delicious secret to ourselves....

No comments:

Post a Comment