Breweries "Visited"

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Not the White Whale, but Still a Monster

Beer #52 Leviathan Barleywine / Harpoon Brewing Company, Boston, MA 

Dear people who say there is no global warming,
I drove home from work today, January 31, with the windows open.  On a day in the middle of winter that felt like the middle of spring, the only thing I could do was get some fresh air going and absolutely crank The Rolling Stones on the drive home (went for the  first half of the Exile on Main Street album - guaranteed to get the blood pumping).  When winter punches us in the face and dumps 36" of snow in one day come late March, I'll remember this day.
Thanks,
Gary

Today's beer from Harpoon was built for a colder day.  Drank it regardless, as I was interested in this beer for two reasons.  One, my version of a "winter" beer is a barleywine, rather than some of the other traditional seasonal offerings (recall: I don't like stouts and porters).  Go here for a quick primer on what a barleywine is, and for those too lazy to click, rest assured it's a beer, not wine.  Two, I was interested in this beer strictly due to the name.  Leviathan is one of those fun, underused words that I should probably weave into conversation more.  "Did you see that basketball game last night?  He was a freaking leviathan on the boards!"  Feel free to join me here.  Plus, Moby Dick is one of my all time favorite books, for whatever that's worth.

So the beer: the Leviathan series is Harpoon's take on big, unique beers.  The Barleywine pours a rich garnet color, and gives off a strong malt scent.  The flavor is dry and full of sweet malt taste, with strong notes of raisin and peppery spice.  This checks in at 10% ABV, and definitely tastes like it, too.  You can tell this beer packs a punch.  If Captain Ahab had this beer aboard the Pequod, he wouldn't give a damn about finding the white whale.
The picture makes it look more purple than it really is.  Sorry.
Things to Think about Today:
The Rolling Stones occupy a warm spot in my heart, as I grew up listening to them non-stop.  It was sort of a ritual: someone brought a radio to the basketball courts, and we'd run and listen to the Stones all day.  The Greatest Rock & Roll Band in the World will probably pop up again somewhere on the list of things to think about, but for now, think about rocking out tomorrow with the windows down on your way home.  Spring will be here soon, right?

I'm always hearing voices on the street/I want to shout but I can't hardly speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment