Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, January 14, 2012

I'm Not Lazy, I'm Just Resting (a lot)

Beer #35 Halcyon / Thornbridge Brewery, Bakewell, England
I wish I had some profound story of today to share with you, some mystical tale of how my day included things wonderful and profound.  I wish.  Instead my day was spent being lazy and relaxing.  The only excitement was Dunkin' Donuts for breakfast and the dogs barking at the mailman (all junk mail - even the US mail isn't exciting today).  Maybe sitting down to write will spark some energy to do more than sit on the couch.  Or maybe I'll just enjoy the peace and quiet while it lasts.

Today we spend some time with Halycon, an IPA from Thornbridge.  The beer pours a clear, golden straw color, and has a mellow grapefruit nose followed up by a nice hop bite.  The right amount of bitter without an overpowering hop flavor. The Brits invented the pale ale, and they definitely do it up right.

Not sure if this beer inspires thoughts of calm or the good old days like the Halcyon name implies; to me, it inspires thoughts of great beer.  In addition to sours, saisons, and the various varities of pale ales, I'm also a big fan of ESBs, and it looks like Thornbridge has a version I'd like to sample in the future.

Thing to Think About Today:
While I was sleeping in today, elite runners were competing in Houston for the right to represent our country in the 2012 Olympic Marathon. These guys run a marathon about as fast as I can run a half marathon, which always warps my mind.  If we're thinking about running today, I'll stop and share a band I very much enjoy who sings a song that references running - and it brings a great pounding soundtrack for your run, particularly if you're climbing some steep, long hills.

Without further adieu, I present Wolf Parade's You are A Runner and I Am My Father's Son:

Sadly, it doesn't appear they made an official video for this song, so you get a live version & homemade video.  Want an official video of another song?  Also check their video for I'll Believe in Anything (who doesn't love alt rock videos prominentently featuring pistol duels set in Victorian England?)

No comments:

Post a Comment