Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Beer 42: Infinium or Snowbound in Berwyn

The great beer-venture to Troeg's Brewery and the Brass Rail deli and bottle shop have been postponed due to inclement weather. I suppose it's better to be safe than to have some jackass end my beer blogging mission early due to his inability to drive in snow and ice. I hate being responsible.

Since my day has been limited to reading random stuff online and building two sets of shelves, I'm not feeling all that inspired to write anything creative.

***

I should have had a Pupperoni!
I had been hearing a lot about Infinium lately but never encountered it at any of the bottle shops I frequent. I lucked out a couple of weeks ago and decided today was the day to sample it. Infinium is a collaboration between Sam Adams and Weihenstephan. The bottle is labeled ale and it poured amber  with a nice white head.

The smell reminded me of raisins and apricots. That smell carried through to the taste but I also got licorice and figs. It also has a nice spice and a hint of tartness.  It is billed as biere de champagne but what I'm drinking doesn't give me anything that could be compared to champagne.  I'd expect dryness and the Infinium is not delivering.  Now that I've drank more of it, it is leaving a slightly soapy aftertaste.  You know how some beers get better as you drink them?  This isn't going to be one of them.

I wish I had paid more attention to what I paid for this one...because it was definitely too much.  Perhaps I need to start a potential bottom 25.  Sorry Sam Adams, despite having all the history of the world's oldest brewery (that would be Weihenstephan), you didn't seem to learn anything.  More research also reveals that I probably should have drank it from a tall, thin pilsner or even a champagne flute.

Oh well, kids. Guess I lost this round...here's to a Beer 43 being a winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment