Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

My People!

Beer #46 Super / Birraficio Le Baladin, Piozzo, Italy
Tried to cram a lot of work into today, which didn't go very well.  Hey, you can't win them all.  Out of the office again tomorrow, which probably isn't going to get me more caught up on my work.  However, the good news is that we're headed to State College for Joe Paterno's memorial service.  I imagine it's going to be an emotional day, but I'm very happy my schedule worked out so that I can say farewell in person.

Today's beer is my first foray of the 365 journey into Italian beers, courtesy of Birraficio Le Baladin.  My paternal grandfather was Italian, so I've now covered a solid 75% of my ancestral background in beer thanks to this plus the Polish beer, Zywiec.

I found this beer (and Marci's) in the ever-improving beer section at Whole Foods in Devon.  What their beer section lacks in size, it makes up in quality.  The Belgian strong pale ale is a cloudy amber hue, and has a good malt scent.  The taste is lighter than the scent suggests, with a good carbonation.  Warm but subtle hints of fruit and vanilla, with caramel in there somewhere.  In all, a pretty decent offering.  When you think of Italy, you instantly think of wine, but there are definitely some decent Italian breweries out there.

A nice 8% ABV, which came in an oddly shaped 8.45oz bottle.  Sort of wish there was more beer to have, I suppose.  The brewery is located in Northwest Italy, between Turin and Nice, which seems like a place I should probably visit.

"Super",  which is Italian for "pretty good"
Things to Think About Today:
Italy is one of the fashion capitals of the world, and everyone knows that I'm a fashion trend setter.

Now that you've stopped laughing, let me suggest we think about some famous American travelers and their quest for the hottest Italian fashions:


And I just realized that Dr. John was the guy singing the song in this video.  See?  We all learn something new every day.  Until we meet again, friends.  

No comments:

Post a Comment