Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Beautiful Day... Spent Inside.

Beer# 28 Black Forest/ F.X. Matt Brewing Company, Utica, NY 
Nothing like a little afternoon drinking to soothe the soul.  New football coach had his first press conference and passed the test by saying the right things.  Hopefully doing the right things will follow, and winning football games follows after that.  Still not thrilled with the hire, but totally willing to give this guy a chance.  I mean, he's only following in the footsteps of the all-time wins leader in college football.  I'm sure he'll do just as well, if not better (I kid.  He won't).

For the afternoon, we're keeping it simple, the Black Forest from Saranac.  Black beers are all the rage this year, with a number of breweries rolling out new black IPAs or black lagers.

No, that's not what I mean by black beers.  I mean a style of beer that resembles Schwarzbier, a German dark lager, that uses roasted, dark malts.  The Black Forest from Saranac is.... a good gateway into black beers, but I'm not sure it's the standard bearer.  There are some roasted flavors, some malt sweetness.  But really, the flavors are fairly muted.  Which is probably good for me, as again - I'm not a huge fan of roasted/toasted/coffee/burnt flavor in my beer.  This is an okay beer, but there are other better options out there.  I wouldn't go out of my way to find this again.  

Thing to Think About Today:
After working most of the morning, I came home to relax, drink a beer (see above), and catch up on some episodes of The League.  A comedy on FX about a group of guys probably just like your friends: they love each other, they hate each other, and they'd jeopardize relationships to win at fantasy football.  Except, maybe your friends don't write songs about their sister-in-law's lady parts like these guys do.  Not going to lie: the best scenes either aren't on youtube, or aren't entirely appropriate, because they're profane, and absurd, and hysterical.  Definitely hysterical. Start here, then hit Netflix and get to the good stuff.




No comments:

Post a Comment