Breweries "Visited"

Monday, January 30, 2012

I am the Keymaster. Are you the Gatekeeper?

Beer #51 Fantome Saison / Brasserie Fantome, Soy, Belgium 
Remember how I was going to be in Seattle this week?  Yeah, about that.  Maybe not!  I'll find out soon, but I need to play it by ear for a bit.  Business travel sounds glamorous, until you actually do it with some regularity.  Then?  It loses the luster.

Thankfully, I know one way to solve life's little problems - by drinking beer.  Tonight's selection is a saison from Fantome.  This beer has a hazy orange color, and hits you instantly with a citrus (tangerine?) aroma. The taste follows the aroma and has an orange and sour apple fruit taste with just enough of an earthy, grassy finish.  Really nice balance here; complex and refreshing all at the same time.  Plus, the logo from the bottle is clearly related to King Boo from the Mario Brothers series of Nintendo games.  See?   Practically twins!



For the record, King Boo is Marci's go-to character for our Mario Kart battles.  Anyway, this brewery is named for a local legend, the ghost of Countess Bertha de la Roche.  Her spirit still reportedly haunts a nearby castle.  Not sure if I believe in ghosts, but I believe in delicious, unique beer, and this one delivers.  It may not end up there at the end of the year, but for now, it gets a coveted spot in the Top 25.

Thing to Think About Today:
This would be a good time to tell you about when I saw Ghostface Killah perform live as part of a summer music festival (with Method Man and Raekwon backed by The Roots).  However, that's a story that I'll save for a later day.  No my friends, I think we'll stick with a classic today:

We're going to play Twister, do some breakdancing!!







No comments:

Post a Comment