Breweries "Visited"

Monday, January 9, 2012

Blues and Tigers and Jeppe and Brett, Oh My!

Beer #30 Ron and The Beast Ryan/ Evil Twin Brewing, Valby, Denmark
Today is a day of highs and lows.  The project for my Chicago client I've mentioned here previously elevated today, which is a huge accomplishment.  Feeling very good about that, and will celebrate in due time.  Today also marks the end of the college football season with the National Championship game tonight, Alabama vs. LSU.  College football is one of my favorite things in the world, and this year has been an unmitigated disaster for the most part.  So, I won't be sad to see the page turn on this season, but I am sad that I'll be without college football again until September.  Thankfully, I have beer to keep me company.


But let's get back to another high point: today's beer.  One of the more unusual beer names you'll find, Ron and the Beast Ryan is a saison from Jeppe Jarnit-Bjergso, a "gypsy" brewer who doesn't have a brewery but rather collaborates with other breweries for unique beers.  This saison has a sour aroma up front, and pours a hazy, wheat color.  Very floral, with taste of citrus, and has a clean, effervescent aftertaste. When you have a saison with sour notes, chances are I'm going to like it and this is no exception.  Not ready for the Top 25, but definitely a keeper.


I haven't found much info on the web on this collaboration.  Who is Ron?  What are the references I see to the Beaster Bunny, another beer?  I did find they're using a strain of Brett yeast from Jolly Pumpkin Brewery, an excellent brewer which I'll extol the virtues of at a later date.  I may need to keep doing research and append this post later.  It does seem that the brewer has spent some time in the U.S., and has collaborated with other like-minded brewers, such as Stillwater, so I expect to drink more of whatever it is he's making.  Stop thinking about this one, and just drink one.  It's good.  Trust me.




Things to Think About Today:
Courtesy of work, you've been treated to two great Chicago food suggestions.  I'll bid good bye to Chicago for now (trying to plan a trip out there to celebrate), and leave you with this:   I promise you, other cities in America, I will deliver something for many of you in 2012, and will write about you in due time. Don't hate.

Today I leave you with possibly the best scene from one of the best, best movies ever made, and obviously Chicago plays a starring role.  Take it away, Jake and Elwood.....



HEEEEYAH!


No comments:

Post a Comment