Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Beer 46: Birraficio Le Baladin Nora or I'm too Tired to Care

So I just finished writing a pretty good post considering how braindead tired I am and fucking Blogger disappeared it. (Anyone?  Anyone?  Please go watch The Wire.)

***

Tonight I drank the Nora from Le Baladin in Italy.  As you can see from the photo, the bottle is adorable and that's pretty much how it made the cut to come home with us from the beer shop.  It's the little things in life.

Into my trusty tulip glass it went...all apricot colored liquid and barely-there head.  It smelled of sweetness and malt but was a little too perfumed for my nose.  It had average carbonation.  Not a bad thing at all, just making an observation.  It drank very light but sweet and maybe with a bit of citrus.  Honestly it reminded me of beer from college.  I did not drink good beer in college.  (Sorry, Phi Gams.  While you never served good beer, it was plentiful and free and that's all I needed back then!)

After finishing my review, I checked out Beer Advocate and that kind of blew me away.  This one is an Egyptian inspired brew with ginger, myrrh and orange peel.  That explains some of what I tasted.  It got an exceptional rating.  That adjective was not in my thinking at all when drinking the Nora.  Fascinating.

Gary had way better luck with Nora's sister beer, Super.  Check it out here.

I'm off to relax for a bit.  Tomorrow is a big day.  I have tickets to the memorial service for Joe Paterno at the Bryce Jordan Center.  It should be an emotional and profound day.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment