Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Punk-y Brew-sters?

Beer #36 5AM Saint / BrewDog, Fraserburgh, Scotland 
So, last night's premiere of the new Zoe Strauss exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art didn't happen. I mean, the premiere happened; we just didn't get to attend.  Missing events we've purchased tickets for occurs more often than I care to recall.  You see, we're both planners by nature - we like to get things mapped out in advance, get tickets taken care of, lock down plans.  Life works well with a thought out plan, so we're not so good with last minute spontaneity.  The only problem is that sometimes life throws us curve balls, thus disrupting our carefully made plans.  Last night was one of those nights.  C'est la vie.

Maybe a goal for 2012 should  be more spontaneous behavior.  Maybe we should let both readers of this blog determine our next beer or restaurant for dinner or what I should wear to work.  Would at least make things more interesting, no?

Today's beer was supposed to be Hill Farmstead's George, but after one sip I realized this alleged brown ale is more of a stout, so I passed it off to Marci, as that's more her style.  Instead, I'll offer up BrewDog's 5AM Saint for my review.  This red ale pours an amber color with a thin head.  The first and foremost taste is a strong malt taste, with some sweeter notes underneath.  There's some good caramel in there, and just a faint hint of coffee.  However, despite my hatred of coffee and coffee flavored things, these coffee notes don't overpower or ruin the beer.  A good beer find, indeed.

Interesting story behind this brewery - these self described "punks" recently went through a public equity subscription.  Had I drank this beer sooner and learned of their story, you could be reading an update from a co-owner.   Sure, I'd only own like 0.00001% or something, but even Warren Buffett started somewhere.


Thing to Think About Today:
Much internal debate on this one.  Tempted to throw out the old Saturday Night Live, "If it's not Scottish, it's crap!" skit, but somehow that didn't seem quite worthy.  The name of the beer made me think of the movie Boondock Saints, but those dudes were Irish, not Scottish.  If these guys are the punks of beer, we might as well roll with a clip from punk legends, The Clash.  This song was a favorite of my house back in college. Ah, college memories - always something to think about.

If I stay there will be trouble, if I go it will be double.  Truer words have never been spoken, dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment