Breweries "Visited"

Monday, January 16, 2012

Beer 37: Fegley Brew Works Nutso or My Allentown Adventure

What better way to pay homage to MLK than by infusing the floundering economy with some cold hard cash? Before you all get upset by my subtle mocking of the day of service hoopla, keep in mind that I work for a nonprofit. My life is a day of service.

Today I have three missions:

1. Visit Shangy's. Done. Shangy's doesn't have a website, but you could like them on Facebook to stay up to date on their offerings. Don't let that deter you. It's worth the effort. I've never seen such variety in a distributor before. We're coming home stacked with New Holland Dragon's Milk, Dale's Pale Ale and a sampler from Butternut. We're pretty psyched.

2. Visit Allentown Brew Works. Done and more on that later.

3. Eat all the oysters at Teresa's Next Door. That commences at 4:00 p.m. Our goal is to be asked to leave for eating so many oysters. You got to have goals.

Sidebar: How awesome is it that I'm sitting here writing about beer as actual beer brewing is happening?!?

So overall today is turning out to be pretty successful. Plus I had the following awesome conversation with Gary. I'm surprised he talks to me sometimes.

Me: Turn here on Lumber Street.

Gary: Lumbar??

Me: No. Lumber. Like wood.

Gary: Oh turn here to be killed.

Me: Wouldn't it be awesome if you could hack into GPS satellites and direct people into ambushes?

Gary: (laughs uncomfortably) What is wrong with you?

Me: I'm just saying it would make ambushes easier.

***

After reliving that conversation, today's beer is even more appropriate. It is Fegley Brew Works Nutso brown ale. It poured rich brown in my glass. It didn't have a distinct smell other than beer. It drank with lots of carbonation, flavors of chocolate, roast and undertones of walnuts. Overall I liked it. It wasn't challenging but was very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment