Breweries "Visited"

Friday, January 27, 2012

Beer 48: Oude Kriek or I Love You, Phil Knight

"Whatever the details of the investigation are, this much is clear to me: There is a villain in this tragedy that lies in that investigation, not in Joe Paterno's response to it."

-- Phil Knight, Chairman of the Board, Nike

Courtesy of statecollege.com
Yesterday the life and legacy of Joseph V. Paterno was celebrated in the most inspiring and amazing way in front of some 12,000 plus friends, family, Penn State alumni, former and current students and athletes and fans. It was overwhelmingly joyful and sad. As images of Coach Paterno came and went on the screens, athletes and academics alike joined together to expound on the impact and legacy this American icon had on just about everyone who ever encountered him. Much gratitude was given to Sue Paterno for sharing him with the world. I sincerely hope she can find some iota of comfort knowing that she is not alone in her sadness.

I sat there for more than two hours completely engrossed in what the speakers had to say. Each time a speech concluded, I thought it would be the one I wrote about today. I wavered on who did the most justice to Coach Paterno’s life and legacy until Phil Knight took the podium. He shared stories of Nike coaches trip where Joe would perform Wild Thing to the delight and amazement of those in attendance. In twenty days from now, it will be the first time in twelve years that performance doesn’t happen. As someone who loves tradition, I imagine that will be difficult to bear witness to. Phil Knight talked about his relationship with Joe -- how Joe became his hero. He brought down the house with the quote with which I opened this post.

Phil Knight is my new hero. He gave voice to what so many of us were thinking. Prior to that statement, he said, “In the year in question it turns out he (Joe) gave full disclosure to his superiors, information moved up the chain to head of campus police and president of the school. The matter was in the hands of a world class university and by a president with an outstanding national reputation. Whatever the details of the investigation are, this much is clear to me.”

Ouch, Penn State. Ouch.  Somewhere in Penn State’s Athletic Development Office, there is a fundraiser having years shaved off his/her life. Trust me. I am a fundraiser and seeing the head of what is probably one of Penn State’s most generous corporate sponsors so utterly incensed gave me cold sweats.

Phil Knight went on to speak for a few more minutes and closed with the question of who will be our hero now noting that the bar has been set very high. With a final thank you, he turned and walked strode off the stage. To say the audience went wild would be the understatement of the century.

Thank you, Mr. Knight, for being our voice.

I’m certain that I’ll have more thoughts to share from the memorial service in the coming days, but for now that’s all I can share.

***

I came home from work today looking for something to sample that would make me happy. I didn’t want to be challenged by tonight’s beer. I didn’t want to chance a disappointing selection. I opted for one of Gary’s recent purchases: Oude Kriek from Hanssens Artisanaal in Dworp, Belgium.

The color of the Oude Kriek can best be described as cloudy fruit punch. Its head, albeit tiny, is unapologetically pink. It smells of tart cherries and funk. The flavor. Oh, the flavor. If you’re a fan of sour ale, Flemish red ales, etc., you know the scent that leads to great sour taste. I smelled it. (This is when the choir of angels started singing, rainbows appeared and bunnies hopped joyfully across the lawn. Ok, it wasn’t like that at all, but it could have been.)

This lambic is dry from start to finish. It hits you right away with a phenomenal sourness that pinches your tongue and tickles the roof of your mouth. There is tart cherries, vinegar, and something barnlike with a nice underlying but very mild sweetness. I’ve described some other Flemish ales or geuze beers as gateway sours. This one is enter the Wu-Tang 36 Chambers shaolin level. Chew on that for awhile, folks.


Here’s to the Wu, brass balls and exceptionally good lambics. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Phil Knight is clearly in the 36th Chamber of Shaolin. CLEARLY.

    ReplyDelete