Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Beer #28: Guido Regenboog Ale

Tonight we dined at Sagami, a Japanese restaurant in Collingswood, New Jersey that has fantastic sushi.  If you are anywhere nearby, you should definitely make an effort to get there.  It's no Blue Fin because Blue Fin is the greatest sushi restaurant ever, but it holds its own.

BOB (for reference) had his introductory press conference today.  He seems ok, said all the right things and was generally all right.  Still merely reading quotes from PSU President Rod Erickson or Dave Joyner makes my blood boil but that overwhelming urge to smash things or cry is subsiding.  I'm going to have to give some serious reconsideration to attending the Blue White game this year.

***

Today's beer is Guido Regenboog Ale.  It is a Belgian Strong Dark ale that is brewed with honey and raisins.  It's a very slightly hazy mahogany color in my glass.  A good swirl releases an abundance of raisin scent.  I taste caramel and hops.  There's an aftertaste that is slightly honey and bitter - very different.  It makes me want vanilla ice cream and I don't even like vanilla ice cream.  Weird.

If the Internet is to be trusted, the brewery where Guido comes from - Smisje Brewery - is the smallest craft brewery in Belgium.  It began in 1995 and was originally called De Regenboog, which is Dutch for rainbow.  I was wondering what Regenboog ale meant and now I know.  The brewer is also a bee keeper and honey factors into a number of his beers.  Honey is a great addition to beer -- I need to look for more offerings from Smisje.  But the minuscule size of the brewery really makes me wonder how this beer managed to get all the way to the suburbs of Philadelphia.  It was like me and Guido were meant to meet!

Until tomorrow when Week 5 commences...cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment