Breweries "Visited"

Monday, January 30, 2012

Beer 51: Brasserie Fantome

I just want to eat dinner, drink this fantastic and very interesting beer and chill out.  It’s been that kind of day.  I’ll try to be profound tomorrow.


Tonight’s beer is from Brasserie Fantome.  It is the brewery’s saison and it is quite good.  Gary picked up this beer based on two reasons.  1. He’s on a saison kick.  2.  The label.  Seriously.  How can you not buy a beer with that label?

I poured it into my trusty tulip glass.  It was shockingly opaque and a wild apricot color.  Interesting.  It poured with a white head that disappeared in short order.  A good swirl released light fruit notes, maybe grape but more tree based fruit -- like a green apple?  There were the requisite hops as well.  It had good carbonation and drank thin.  Aside from the fruit from the scent carrying through to the taste, I also got something very organic and earthy.  Almost a savory food flavor that none of my go to beer adjectives could describe.  It finishes with a bit bitter and good saison pepper.  This is a very unusual saison and I really enjoy it.

What I can’t figure out is whether this is Fantome’s standard saison or if it is one of the seasonals for which the brewer is known.  I would love for it to be a seasonal version because he uses closely guarded mystery ingredients and I want that to cover that earthy, organic flavor I couldn’t place.  Either way, I’m hooked and will definitely be on the lookout for more of this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment