Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Beer 32: Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout or Kill Me Now, My Life is Complete

I equate Southern Tier with super hoppy beers that Gary will love and I will hate.  And then about two or three weeks ago, I read an article that mentions Southern Tier's Creme Brulee Stout.  Creme brulee is my favorite dessert.  I love chocolate, but a good creme brulee beats the best chocolate dessert any day in my book.  If you're not familiar, it is a rich custard that is most often flavored with vanilla and topped with a thin layer of hardened caramel.  It should be served cold but not ice cold.  The hardened caramel should be thin and not burnt.  At its best preparation, it is heavenly.

Southern Tier's homage to creme brulee is served in a brandy snifter and is black as night.  You can smell the vanilla and sweetness at ten paces.  After a sip, Gary stated, "It's not bad for a stout."  A ringing endorsement if you know his distaste for stout.  I declared it to be sex in my mouth -- probably a bit too loudly given I was in public.  It was that good.  Seriously.

It pours with a thin head and light carbonation.  It's creamy and smooth.  The smell and taste of vanilla and caramel rang true throughout the entire serving.  It does have a slight bite at the end and definitely gives you that warm and fuzzy alcohol feeling, which is appropriate for a beer coming in at 9.8% ABV.

I have a few other milk stouts hanging around in the fridge and I think they'll be reviewed throughout the remainder of this week.  I know this one is a ripe candidate for Top 25.  I wonder if any of the others will be?

***

Quote Highlight of the Day:  "Avocados should not have that kind of control over our lives."  Why do avocados exert such power over us?  I'll tell you.  You never know what you're getting when you buy an avocado.  They're expensive and you only find out if you wasted your money on a poor quality avocado after you've cut into it.  And by that point, you are already geared up for whatever tasty avocado dish for which you bought that darn avocado and the disappointment is staggering.  We've all been there or at least my goofy co-workers and I have been there.  Avocados.  So delicious.  So powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment