Previously from this brewery: Watermelon Wheat (in my Top 25) and Marci's review of Fireside Chat
Representing San Francisco in my Super Bowl beer battle is a can of Bitter American, a pale ale from 21st Amendment Brewery. Out of the can, this beer has a honeyed amber color, with a quickly dissipating head. There are citrus aromas, and the taste is a mellow collection of pine, lemon, caramel, and sweet malt, with some good bitterness at the finish. This session beer is a mild 4.4% ABV, which means you this very tasty beer will go well with day drinking or tailgating. Well done, 21st Amendment. Very well done.
|More great can art from 21st Amendment|
Okay, so the winner of my Super Bowl beer challenge? Too close to call - both Bitter American and Green Peppercorn Tripel were delicious, so we're calling it a tie!!!! Let's go to overtime and compare each city more closely:
- Baltimore: The Wire, Homicide: Life on the Street
- San Francisco: Full House, Too Close for Comfort
Two incredibly hard hitting dramas versus two awful comedies? Even the inclusion of Ted Knight can't save S.F. here. Huge edge: Baltimore
- Baltimore: hard shell crabs, Old Bay Seasoning, crab cakes
- San Francisco: Rice-a-Roni, Ghirardelli chocolate, sourdough bread
Sorry Uncle Ben, you lose. Edge: Baltimore
- Baltimore: The Brewer's Art, Stillwater, Clipper City/Heavy Seas
- San Francisco: 21st Amendment, Anchor, Speakeasy
San Fran's might have more name recognition across the country, but don't sleep on the quality in B-more. Edge: Even
Make sure to visit:
- Baltimore: National Aquarium, American Visionary Art Museum
- San Francisco: Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf, Haight & Ashbury
While the Visionary Arts Museum is outstanding, it's hard to top San Fran in the tourism department. Plus, being close to wine country doesn't hurt. Edge: San Francisco
The winner? By a score of 2-1, we give the nod to Baltimore in this Super Bowl fight!!! Congratulations on this esteemed honor. Now, what this Baltimore victory will mean on the gridiron tomorrow, I have no idea. I just want to eat buffalo chicken dip and drink beer, really. But good luck to whatever team you're rooting for.
Thing to Think About Today:
In the spirit of all things Super, I present you with Soul Coughing's Super Bon Bon. Enjoy!