Breweries "Visited"

Monday, June 25, 2012

Hell-o!

Beer #198 Hell or High Watermelon / 21st Amendment Brewery, San Francisco, CA

One of the beers I was really, really looking forward to drinking in California was the Hell or High Watermelon from 21st Amendment.  However, I realized there's a good selection from this brewery available in my back yard, and I should probably focus on working through some harder to find breweries.  So, I didn't get to visit the brewery or drink any of the other varieties they may not distribute.  Which was mildly unfortunate.

However, all is not lost, as it makes a perfect beer for an evening in my backyard, with some sausages and and corn on the grill for dinner.  This delightfully named beer is a hazy orange color in the glass with a fluffy head that lingers.  The aroma is light, with the scent of sweet fruit and yeast.  The taste is summertime in a glass - a nice watermelon flavor up front, with yeast and wheat flavors.  Nice and easy drinking, this beer would go perfectly at your Fourth of July BBQ or a lazy afternoon by the pool.  As we're in the midst of summer, I like it so much that it's getting a place on my Top 25 Beer list.  Shazam!

Plus, I love the can art - Lady Liberty picking up watermelons off a barge going by the Golden Gate Bridge. Pretty sure I didn't see that happening while I was in town, but admittedly I wasn't looking the whole time.

Summer in America!
This brewery was opened in 2000, and for those who do not recall their civics classes, is named for the Constitutional amendment which repeals Prohibition.  Now you know.

Thing to Think About Today:
If we're thinking about watermelon, let's go to the greatest song ever featuring the word "watermelon" in the lyrics.  That's right, the great Tennessee by Arrested Development.  You know what I'm talking about - "I won the game of horseshoes.  Now you owe me a watermelon."  We had horseshoe pits in the front yard of my fraternity house in college, and I'd always sing that lyric in my head during pre-game warm-ups.  Just made sense.

Anyway, on with the show:

Anyone have a number where I can reach these guys?  Thinking about booking them for an upcoming BBQ at my place.  Let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment