Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Beer 182: Mestreechts Aajt, Flanders Oud Bruin

Philly Beer Week wrapped up for us in the 'burbs...at Whole Foods' Mile Post Tavern to be exact. Go ahead and laugh, but this tiny little, grocery store-housed pub serves up some amazing beer. Today was their "Sour Power" event and I was impressed.

The Mestreechts Aajt, a Flanders Oud Bruin is brewed by Gulpener Bierbrouwerij in the Netherlands. At 4.7%, it is quite easy to drink. In fact I had two as I people watched at the entrance to Whole Foods.


It poured a deep, dark brown with a thick tan head. It had a slight cherry scent. The flavor is best described as a creamy Oud Bruin. There's a mild balsamic vinegar flavor, tart cherries. It drinks with a full creamy mouthfeel. I learned after writing this post that lactobacillus is introduced in the blend. So that explains that.

This one is definitely different than other Oud Bruins that I've had, but I really enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed it so much that it's going in my top 25. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment