Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Beer 63: Evil Twin Without You I’m Nothing


Last night’s dinner at The Farmers’ Cabinet was awesome.  Love the cheese offerings.  The pickles were average but I’m a harsh pickle critic given I have access to some of the finest hand crafted pickles thanks to Gary.  I had an awesome salad -- field greens with broken lemon vinaigrette.  I don’t know what was broken about it - it was one of the best salads I’ve had, which is amazing since it was a bowl of greens and I generally dislike most vegetables.  Dinner was an arctic char with lentils, shaved brussels sprouts and pickled mustard seeds.  Really good stuff!

You get two beer reviews tonight.  The first one doesn’t count because I’ve already reviewed Stillwater -- once on his own and once in a collaboration with Mikkeller.  I loved the first two so why wouldn’t I enjoy my third Stillwater tasting.  I’m pretty sure Brian Strumke doesn’t make a beer I wouldn’t like.  This one was the Wabash Cannonball, a collaboration with The Farmers’ Cabinet.  It’s a take on one of their cocktails from last fall.  It was golden in the glass.  Thin head.  It smelled of orange and earthy fruit.  The taste was amazing -- honey, fruit…a little tart balanced with mild sweetness.  I wish I took better notes…didn’t think I’d mention it here.  Oh well.

With dinner I had an Evil Twin Without You I’m Nothing.  I’ve been craving sour or wild ales a lot lately and haven’t been able to find new ones that I haven’t already posted about.  The Farmers’ Cabinet saves the day!  Evil Twin is another gypsy brewer.  In fact he is the brother of Mikkeller.  This beer poured without much carbonation and little to no head.  It looked like coca-cola in the glass with ruby highlights if the light hits it right.  There were undertones of cocoa flavor.  The smell reminded me of cherry licorice.  It had a great vinegar piquancy and good ripe cherry flavors.  There was no funk to it, which was a bit of a let down.

Last night I would have put it in the running for top 25 but upon thinking about it some more, I expect more complexity from my sour ales.  But if I were hanging out and drinking a few beers, I wouldn’t mind this being the beer of choice.  I just hope someone else is buying…it was not inexpensive!

We’re off to Jose Pistola’s tonight for dinner.  I checked our their beer list and I think it is going to be a very good night!  Cheers!

p.s. The restaurant was very dimly lit and couldn't get a decent photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment