Breweries "Visited"

Monday, February 6, 2012

Somebody's Got a Case of the Mondays...

Beer #58 Saison du Chene  / Saint Somewhere Brewing Company, Tarpon Springs, FL
Getting my hustle on today, so I'll just stick to the facts.

One of the highlights of this beer adventure has been trying beers from new breweries, so when I saw Saint Somewhere on draft at Teresa's, I was intrigued.  At first, I was afraid this was some crap brewery that was using a line from a Jimmy Buffett song to hawk a "Margaritaville" experience - or worse, a Jimmy Buffett owned brewery (I guess Landshark has that one covered?).  No worries, this brewery is a legit one-man micro operation, producing a scarce 450 barrels of Belgian beers each year.

The Saison du Chene is actually a blend of another saison from two different points in the aging process.  In the glass it's a dark yellow, and gives off an aroma of  peanut butter.  Very dry, with a little citrus flavor hiding in the corners, and a funky taste.  Funk is usually a very good flavor in my book for saisons, but this pushed it a bit too far. I kept coming back to the same thoughts on the taste - barn, nut, earth. 7.5% ABV.  I can't lie, I wasn't overwhelmed with this one.  This being said, I'll likely try another St. Somewhere offering (likely the Lectio Divina) as anyone willing to swing for the fences like this deserves another trip to the plate.

Thing to Think About Today:
Hopefully your post-Super Bowl hangover was a small one, hopefully you caught the good commercials and went easy on the taco dip.  And hopefully you listened to my advice on Madonna and listened to better music at halftime.  But most importantly on a day where you wish you were at home, let's all hope that you didn't have a case of the Mondays:

I'm not sure this movie is funny to people who've never worked in an office for a big conglomeration.  However, for those of us who have lived in the "cube farm", Office Space might be the best movie of all time.  Hopefully this clip will help cure any Monday issues for you....


2 comments:

  1. I have a coworker with the red stapler from that movie on her desk (she taped the line on it "excuse me, I think you have my stapler").

    I live close to Dogfish Head brewery, and my personal favorite is Midas Touch (glad to see you didn't miss it), out on my back deck, as the sun sets during the summer. AH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a fax machine in my office just asking to recreate that scene in the field. It's disconnected. No one would miss it...

    I think my favorite Dog Fish Head is the Festina Peche. But I do enjoy the Midas Touch too!

    ReplyDelete