Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Post Where I Remember.

Beer # 64 Estivale / Brasserie Artisanal de Rulles, Rulles-Habay, Belgium
Everyone knows the feeling of getting a song stuck in their head.  Despite not hearing Rico Suave since you were in high school, one day you start singing Rico Suave and wonder just why Rico Suave is stuck in your head (how am I doing here in planting this seed in your head?) for a few days.

I was recently hit with this phenomenon, only with a slightly worse twist.  A song was stuck in my head, and I didn't even know what the song was (it wasn't Rico Suave) or what band/singer sang the song.  I kept singing and humming the melody in my head, and then spent the greater part of the week going through iTunes trying to figure out who it might be.  Tried all sorts of groups I listen to infrequently, figuring that if I can't remember, it's likely a song from someone I don't listen to often.  Yeah, nothing.  NO luck.

However, every now and then something good happens to me - over post-dinner drinks at Jose Pistola's, their strange mix of music spit out the song I've been humming in my brain for a week:  Saint Simon, by The Shins:

Not sure how this got stuck in my head to begin with, but I'm eternally grateful for the good luck to hear it playing at the bar so I could put an artist and song name to the melody bouncing through my brain.  And like that, my frustration was wiped away.  Hopefully, once you get Rico Suave out of your head, a better song like this one will take its place.

More on dinner last night - Jose Pistola's is a bit of a hole in the wall, but serves great food and has a deep beer list.  Highly recommend the nachos and carnitas burrito - grilled pineapple and jalapeno tucked inside.  Even better than the food was the conversation, which (as to be expected) was completely hilarious and completely inappropriate.  I sampled a couple beers you'll hear about soon, but today I'll review the Estivale from de Rulles, which was on draft.  A really nice mix of citrus aroma balanced with hops and malt, almost to the point of bordering on a pale ale.  Admittedly, I didn't take any notes (my bad), so apologies for the short review... and lack of picture.  If you're a fan of Belgians, you'll should try one.  Trust me.
courtesy www.larulles.be
Thing to Think About Today:
Our dinner companions were in from out of town, and they posted up at the Kimpton Palomar last night.  For those not familiar, Kimpton is a boutique hotel chain found in most, but certainly not all, metropolitan areas.  Yes, they're occasionally a teensy bit more expensive than a Marriott or Hilton, but it's incredibly worth the extra effort.  Pet friendly, modern, stylish, and hip, always with a fun bar/restaurant attached.  Hotel bars are usually the most depressing places on earth (I know this, I travel for my job), so it's nice to see a bar people visit because it's a good spot, not just because they're sleeping upstairs.

What really seals the deal is fantastic customer service from every staff member.  Plus, if you sign up for their rewards points, you get a free $10 credit to the mini-bar for every stay.  What else could you ask for?

Next time you're on the road, think about staying at a Kimpton.  You'll thank me later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment