Breweries "Visited"

Monday, February 20, 2012

Beer 72: Leipziger Gose


You get short and sweet tonight, folks.  I just walked in the door  at 9pm and dinner is my number one priority.  It is followed closely by passing out wherever I land post-dinner.  And that would be from exhaustion and not a bender.  

Tonight’s beer is Leipziger Gose brewed by Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof.  Umm, yeah.  Does anyone else hear Charlie Brown’s teacher?

Gose is an old German style beer from Leipzig.  It’s an unfiltered wheat beer made with 50-60% malted wheat.  That creates a cloudy yellow color and provides a refreshing crispness and twang.  This particular one is brewed with coriander and salt.  Interestingly this is my second beer this month brewed with salt.  Evidence here.

Sorry about the craptastic cell phone photo.  All I had was Gary’s phone to snap a photo of this one.  It poured golden and slightly cloudy per the description.  It was also very bubbly, which I think aided in the refreshing quality of this beer.  It smelled strongly of malt and bread.  There were herbal notes but I couldn’t say for certain that I smelled coriander. (I know it's in my kitchen cabinet, but I'm too lazy to get up and sniff it for confirmation.)  There was definitely something interesting in the scent.  The salt wasn’t noticeable at all.  It finishes very dry.  At 4.6% ABV, I’d love to spend an afternoon with more than one of these.

Until tomorrow, kids…

No comments:

Post a Comment