Breweries "Visited"

Friday, February 10, 2012

Beer 62: Anchor Brewing Liberty Ale

Tonight we feast at The Farmers' Cabinet for a roomie reunion dinner!  Yay!  I'm beyond excited to be trying this restaurant.  The beer list is phenomenal and I am really proud to say that I've already tried many of the breweries on their list.  Who goes somewhere that offers not one but two beers from Norway (?!?) and has already had both of them before?  Evidently me, the crazy beer blogger. 

There's Mikkeller, Nogne, Haand, Baladin, Stillwater...where do I begin???

***

But before I can hit the road to enjoy my night out with friends, I have to get my review in.  A few nights ago I double-upped on my tastings for the evening and have a review of Anchor Brewing's Liberty Ale in my back pocket. 

It was poured into a pint glass.  It was very orange in color and had an off-white head.  It smelled of peaches and kind of like hairspray.  Hmm...not promising at all.  After tasting it, I thought, "Holy hops!"  I didn't know it was dry hopped until after I selected it and I'm learning that I tend not to like dry hopped beer.  The Anchor website mentions a unique aroma.  I'd call peaches and hairspray unique.  The hop flavor gives way to a mildy fruit-based sweetness but doesn't take away the hop bite.  I'll admit it is quite smooth to drink but definitely not one of my favorites. 

We'll be visiting Anchor Brewing this summer -- in fact, it will probably be one of the first stops on the great beer-venture of 2012.  Anchor Steam is far and away Gary's favorite beer.  I wish he was around when I drank this one to have his verdict on it.

Until tomorrow, friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment