Breweries "Visited"

Friday, February 24, 2012

Beer 76: Petrus Aged Pale

Tonight's beer is Petrus Aged Pale, a Flanders Oud Bruin from Brouwerij Bavik in Belgium.  This is an exceptional beer.  So exceptional that I knew it was going in my top 25 the moment we started this blog. 

The photo is courtesy of my Blackberry -- a la it is craptastic.  Sorry.  Petrus pours a super bubbly golden color.  It has a small white head that disappears quickly.  The smell is indicative of the sourness that is to come with a hint of funk and barnyard.  The taste is upfront -- tart and sour. It rounds out to a searingly dry finish.  Flavors include lemon, green apple.  I don't notice any strong hop or malt flavor -- the sourness overpowers them in a very good way. 

This is a beer that I wish to sip for hours from a never-ending supply.  I've drank it during the summer and thought it is perfect.  I've had it during the fall and considered it appropriate.  I had it in February in the dead of winter and loved it.  I wish I had another one right now.

***

As I typed the title for this post, I realized that we've surpassed the 75 day mark.  We are 20% of the way through this challenge.  Wow.  Another realization is that with the extra beers I've accidentally reviewed, I'll have had 370 beers during the 366 day challenge.  I imagine at the rate I'm going accidentally drinking the same brewery twice, I'm going to hit 400 easily.

On that note, I bid you cheers for a happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like your glass was not clean - bubbles sticking to the glass...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete