Breweries "Visited"

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Beer: SATs :: This Blog: Hemmingway

Beer #56 Gran Met / Voodoo Brewing Company, Meadville, PA
You remember those analogy questions on the SAT where you'd have to determine the relationship of the two words, and then figure out what other two words have the same relationship?  I'll give you an example:

1. Eagle : Bird ::
A) Food : Handsome
B) Car : Mike Tyson
C) Dachshund : Dog
D) Brown : BROWN!!!!

Now you remember.  And by the way, if you got that one wrong, I'm not sure why you're reading this blog, as I'm sure there's a coloring book somewhere you'll find more entertaining.  Anyway, I bring this up because we've been seeing a growing number of offerings from Voodoo Brewery in our local Wegman's.  I see Voodoo as the brewery name, and immediately switch into SAT analogy mode.  Voodoo : New Orleans.  Right?

Imagine my surprise when I found out this brewery is from that well established home for voodoo rituals, Meadville, Pennsylvania.  Wait, where?  Located halfway between Erie and I guess Slippery Rock, Meadville is decidedly not a home to underground religious practices.  So I'm not sure where the voodoo name comes from, but that's all a bit irrelevant as the beers are good.  Today I went with the Gran Met (translates to Grand Master), a Belgian tripel.  The beer pours a hazy gold with orange hues, with a thin wispy head.  The aroma is light and not overpowering, and the taste brings notes of bread, sweetness, and a hint of fruit (not sure which one).  There's a pleasant bitterness, with a nice peppery finish.  Definitely recommend you try this, or another one of their offerings.

So, yeah - the brewery name definitely still fails the analogy test.  There goes my perfect SAT score.  Maybe the voodoo is that great beer can come from anywhere, even the suburbs of the suburbs of the suburbs of Erie?  To paraphrase a mildly better writer than me, a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.  These guys can call their brewery anything they want as long as they continue to crank out some fantastic beers.

Thing to Think About Today:
If we're thinking about high school and the SAT, you might as well go ahead and think about detention (especially if you got the analogy question wrong).  I encourage you to think back to the Breakfast Club today.  One of John Hughes' smash hits from the 80's, it's still a classic:

You mess with the bull, you get the horns.

2 comments:

  1. Voodoo Brewery is apparently some guy and one or two of his buddies. It's super small. Michelle bought me the Big Black Voodoo Daddy, which was pretty good. The Voodoo Love Child was terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems to be Matt Allyn and an assistant and that's about it. I liked Big Black Voodoo Daddy a lot. Voodoo Love Child wasn't so bad but the only time I had it was after a long day of drinking so who knows.

    Nice review by the way. Pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete