Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, February 2, 2012

I Like it in the Can

Beer #54 Dale's Pale Ale / Oskar Blues Brewery, Longmont, CO
Here's how my day went: I left the office, got outside, and realized I forgot my car keys on my desk.  Back inside, back to my desk..  Left the office again, realized I forgot my phone.  Back inside, back to my desk.  Stopped caring what else I forgot, went home.

Thankfully, beer fixes everything, and today I'm making things ALL BETTER by drinking one of my favorite beers ever, Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues.  It pours a gorgeous copper color with a foamy head and a welcoming floral and hoppy aroma.  The taste is heavenly - an aggressive hop flavor balanced by some malt and pine notes and an earthy finish.  Crisp and dry and awesome.  Dale's brings a hearty 6.5% ABV and 65 IBUs to the party.
With matching pint glass.  We're getting serious here people.
This pale ale has been a favorite of mine for a few years, and I was lucky enough to visit the brewery with some friends last summer.  Oskar Blues led the charge to can craft brews, a trend that has grown as people realize the benefits of beer in a can, instead of a bottle.  For the uninitiated, cans protect beer from oxygen and sunlight, two things that make delicious beer turn and taste awful.  They still have their original canning equipment displayed, which sealed cans one at a time.  By hand.

Pro tip: if you visit the brewery and grab some beers at Tasty Weasel, the brewery's in-house pub, make sure to sign up for the free tour.  You'll learn something about beer, and walk away with a free pint glass (or $5 credit for other merchandise) for your effort.  Plus, they have pinball.  Great beer, great people, and pinball?  You're welcome.

And now, some pics to enjoy:
In the middle of the action at Tasty Weasel.  Free peanuts!
All of the empty cans I drank.   I'm kidding no I'm not.
Really, what good is being in the wilderness if you can't chill your beer in a glacier-fed stream?
Thing to Think About Today:
Sure, it's Groundhog Day, and we've all probably been hearing references to the awesome movie of the same name.  Too easy.  Instead, today it's time to say goodbye to one of the all time greats, Mr. Don Cornelius.  Heaven now has a host for its dance party.

I wish I had a voice like that.  And his fashion sense.  Bonus points if your recognize the guy at the 1:07  mark in this video.  RIP, Don.

No comments:

Post a Comment