Breweries "Visited"

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

When Being Awesome Every Day Takes a Day Off

Beer #60 Double Simcoe IPA / Weyerbacher Brewing Company, Easton, PA
Spent today trying to cram three days worth of work into one day, so I'm getting a late start on today's writing (and drinking) and thus I'll keep it short: Today was a really good day at work.  The cleaning lady came today.  Dinner was good.  The roofers are still working on the roof/siding.  There's an inch or so of wet snow in the yard.  The end.

Look, no one ever said this blog was going to be entertaining every day.  I don't recall ever saying that.  I'm pretty sure you just assumed every post was going to be awesome, because 99.5% of them are.

Today's beer is a draft pour of Double Simcoe IPA from Weyerbacher, a relatively local brewery.  Simcoe is the name of the hop used throughout the brew.  Lots of hop scent in the aroma, and the taste is a mix of citrus and strong hop flavor.  Doughy malt flavors are present, but don't dominate.  There's a pine flavor, which can be expected from a double-hopped beer.  A respectable 9.0% ABV, which you can taste - you know you're drinking a potent beer when you put one of these down.  If you're a hops fan, this deserves your attention.

Thing to Think About Today:
I certainly have no intention of making this space a daily memorial service to those who have passed away.  I mean, it's a bit depressing to simply sit every single day and think of the departed.  However, a few people do cause me to stop and make mention.  RIP, Robert Hegyes, also known as the guy who played Juan Epstein on Welcome Back Kotter.  A fantastic, absurd, hilarious show - at some point down the road, I'll tell you about the time I met Horshack (aka Ron Palillo) and managed his campaign for Lieutenant Governor.  I'll save that story for a day where I'm back to being awesome.


Signed,
Epstein's Mother

1 comment:

  1. I like Double Simcoe though don't drink it that often. Definitely slightly more malty than other double IPAs. I drank a super old one recently and it was funny to see how randomly it aged.

    ReplyDelete