Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Beer 78: Blue Point Brewing’s Winter Ale or Spring is in the Air


Today wasn’t a particularly warm day but our crocus are out in full force, bock beers are starting to show up and I don’t want to wear tights to work anymore.  Ahhh…the signs of spring in Marci-land.  I also hit the gym for the first time in a very long time and realized just how out of shape I am.  So we’re going to work on remedying that situation.


Sidebar:  The highlight of today’s trip to the gym was a dude who looked like an athletic John Waters.  I couldn’t stop starting at this guy.  His lips were perfect replicas of Mr. Waters.


Sidebar II:  I read an article in New York magazine, that John Waters has taken a Polaroid picture of everyone who has come to his home since 1992.  The article was published in 2008 and since then Polaroid stopped production.  I’ve always wanted to do something a little bonkers like that…guess I’ll have to find a new medium.


But I digress.  With thoughts of spring dancing in my mind, I’ve decided it’s high time to clear out some of the winter-friendly beers lurking in the  fridge and on the beer shelf.  Today we’re going with Blue Point Brewing Company’s Winter Ale out of Long Island.  This is the first beer I’ve had from this brewery and I like it.

It poured an deep amber with a minimal head that left some lacing behind.  It smells of caramel malts and sugar.  It has a very round flavor with a couple of things hitting my palate.  Caramel, toffee and sweetness with just a little bit of hop in the finish.  As a winter warmer, it’s quite good.  Substantial in flavor and moderate ABV (7%).  I’m not sure why this one hung around so long.  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment