Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, February 16, 2012

John Wayne Gacy, Marlo Stanfield, Count Chocula: America's Most Wanted

Beer #68 Cereal Killer / Arcadia Ales, Battle Creek, MI

America has a morbid fascination with two things: serial killers and breakfast cereal.  Oh sure, I can look up a bunch of stats on the proliferation of crime dramas on tv and the millions of boxes of cereal purchased each year.  However, we're in the middle of re-watching The Wire (season 5!), so I'm not going to spend my time looking up those stats.  I'll be re-checking in on Marlo's beef with Prop Joe and his efforts to bring Omar out of retirement.   You want to talk about serial killers, start with Marlo.

If I must talk about serial killers, then it makes sense one of my beers from last weekend is Cereal Killer from Arcadia Ales, a barleywine ale on tap at Jose Pistola's.  It pours a dark brown in the glass (I guess; it was dark in the bar) and has a malty aroma.  The taste has flavors of malt and bread with a hint of sweetness, with some toffee hiding in the background.  Maybe a hint of chocolate.  You can definitely taste the alcohol in this one.  A decent beer, but probably not what I was in the mood for, particularly with Mexican food on the way.  So, it wasn't the best choice I've ever made, but it's definitely worth a try if you're a barleywine fan.  I'd drink another one.

Arcadia seems to be redesigning their website, so not much info there.  However, from some other sources, people seem to suggest letting it age for a while.  I had it on draft, so no dice there.  I'm going to go ahead and assume that the beer name is an homage to Battle Creek, which also serves as home to Kellogg's world headquarters.


Thing to Think About Today:
Count me as someone who finds the psychology of serial killers a very interesting topic.  However, it's a bit morbid to think about serial killers, so let's go ahead and think about cereal, shall we?  If we're thinking cereal, we're starting and ending the conversation with the best cereal EVER:


Not sure why they only sell this during Halloween season, but rest assured I get multiple boxes each year to satisfy my craving.

BONUS ROUND:  Everyone knows Frankenberry, Count Chocula, and Boo Berry.  But do you know there were two other monster cereals in existence back in the 80's?  Fame and fortune to the first person to correctly identify the two other monster cereals which no longer haunt the mornings.

If you don't know, I'll save you the time from searching google: Answer can be found here.

4 comments:

  1. Chris be disappearing them bodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, I believe the firkin of Cereal Killer at Jose Pistolas had chocolate nibs or something added to it so it wasn't a normal version.

    Also the Wire is awesome and I always liked that Snoop was a real gang banger and had been in jail for murder before she was on the show. I think she's in jail for selling drugs right now but don't know for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, and would explain the chocolate. Thought maybe they were trying to get it to taste like the milk left in the bowl after some Cocoa Puffs.

    And yes, sadly Snoop went back to jail last year, but appears to be out on "supervised probation"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felicia_Pearson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saddened we didn't get a iPod reference for the Geto Boys - Til Death Do Us Apart album. They had a song on there in the early 90's that was "Cereal Killer" tying a bunch of breakfast cereal characters together lyrically.

    ReplyDelete