Breweries "Visited"

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Beer 57: Rosee Hibiscus or Some Labels Really Matter


Thanks to some very generous friends of Gary, we were gifted some interesting beers when this blog was in its early days.  One of those beers has stared at me from the beer shelf for months.  I’ve done everything to ignore it.  Moved it to the back and yet she (yes, she…there’s a chick on the label) kept creeping back to the front of the field.  Why the wariness?  Take a gander at this label:


Tell me that you find that appealing.  The description certainly sounded like something I would like -- ale brewed with spices and hibiscus flowers.  But that label.  Oy!

Today I broke down and decided to end the refrigerator battle that Rosee (as I’ve decided to call this beer as I sip and type) and I’ve been having.  Honestly I don’t know what’s wrong with me sometimes.  This is a tasty beer.  The color is somewhere between a rose wine and fruit punch.  It barely had a head when I poured it and there isn’t even a bit of lacing left behind.  If I were to just wander past this glass without knowing what it was, I’d say it was some kind of fruity iced tea based on looks.

The scent has some very minor floweriness to it but there is also something citrusy.  The taste is not flowery as I would have suspected.  There’s orange, maybe vanilla.  Good hop flavor.  Not much carbonation and it finishes with a tang.  Overall I find it to be very good.  At 5% ABV, one could definitely drink a few of these.

I’ll definitely be on the lookout for more offerings from Brasserie Dieu Du Ciel.  There are a lot of very interesting flavor combinations that I think I would really enjoy.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment