Breweries "Visited"

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Beer 61: La Chouffe


I’ve spent about 90% of my work time since 11am yesterday running from meeting to meeting with either 15 minute or half hour breaks here and there. Unfortunately none of those breaks happened to occur any time near the lunch hour and I’m feel quite run down and malnourished. Woe is me…whatever, I know, buck up, buttercup.

So as I started my day again running from meeting to meeting or in this instance driving from meeting to meeting, I was propelled back to 1993 when I heard Murder She Wrote by Chaka Demus & Pliers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-av7F1JBmj4

In an instant, I was back at the Laurel Mall shopping for a totally awesome outfit at Foxmoor and searching for that single – most likely on cassette tape – at Camelot Music.  Memory is a fascinating thing.

***

And from that walk down memory lane, we switch gears to gnomes!  Tonight we’re drinking a Belgian strong pale ale from La Chouffe.  Isn’t that little gnome adorable?

La Chouffe was poured into a tulip glass.  It is a bright apricot color liquid.  Again I find myself rather congested and can’t for the life of me get a read on the smell.  It tastes of orange with some honey undertones.  I poured this one like an idiot and got lots of the yeast sediment that should have stayed in the bottle.  But that’s always a risk when it comes to beer that is fermented in the bottle.  This beer is very hoppy but is well balanced by other flavors.  I’m actually surprised that it comes in at 8% ABV.  I didn’t notice that at all.  It is definitely a winner in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment